Tony Fingleton is a resident of New York where he has lived since 1967.
He has written numerous screenplays most of which at one time or another, have been optioned by the major film studios.
He wrote and co-produced with Working Title Films DROP DEAD FRED which starred Phoebe Cates, Rik Mayall, Marsha Mason, Carrie Fisher and Tim Matheson. The film was released by New Line Cinema and is now considered a worldwide cult film. To celebrate its 25th Anniversary, Universal has just released a Blu Ray version of the film.
Tony is the co-author with Michael Sutton of OVER MY DEAD BODY, a comedy which was originally produced at the Hartman Theater in Stamford, Connecticut. It starred Fritz Weaver and Tammy Grimes. It subsequently played for nine months at the Savoy Theatre in London and starred Donald Sinden and June Whitfield. It was directed by Brian Murray. The play is now performed extensively around the United States as well as in Japan and England. It is published by Dramatists Play Service Inc.
In 2003, he wrote and co-produced an autobiographical film called SWIMMING UPSTREAM about his growing up years in Australia where he was an Australian champion swimmer. It starred Academy Award winner Geoffrey Rush and Academy Award nominee Judy Davis as his father and mother and Jesse Spencer (of TV’s HOUSE and CHICAGO FIRE) as Tony. The film received five nominations for the Australian Film Institute Awards including Best Film, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Cinematography and Best Screenplay and Tony won the Australian Film Critics Award for Best Screenplay. The film was released worldwide by MGM.
A best-selling book of the film was published by New Holland Publishing.
1) A play called STEALING HOME which deals with a marriage troubled by opposing career trajectories. The hero, Michael, is a former baseball star whose career has been brought to an abrupt halt because of an injury. His wife, Kate’s career as a fashion designer is beginning to gather steam. The marriage is threatened when Michael becomes convinced that his wife is having an affair with her boss. Marsha Mason (THE GOODBYE GIRL, CHAPTER TWO, CINDERELLA LIBERTY) will direct.
2) A screenplay and Young Adult book called THE BOY WHO COULD SEE TOMORROW. This is the story of Toby Toomey, a 13 year old New York boy who travels with his parents to Greenwich, England. He visits the Royal Observatory where the International Date Line is set. A freak accident occurs and Toby is given the extraordinary gift of being able to see tomorrow’s events. Confused and troubled with his extraordinary gift, he returns to New York where he decides to hide his secret. However, there are people who would use his gift for their own profitable and nefarious purposes. But Toby has greater plans and in spectacular fashion, he thwarts the no-good guys and performs a heroic act which leads to his saving the life of the President of the United States.
3) TRAVESTY, a screenplay based on the book NOTHING TO DO WITH JUSTICE written by his sister, Diane Fingleton who was the Chief Magistrate of the state of Queensland, Australia. Diane was sentenced to six months in jail for threatening a fellow magistrate for insubordination. The case reached the High Court of Australia and was overturned in a unanimous decision by all six justices and called “one of the gravest miscarriages of justice in Australian history.”
4) SWIMMING UPSTREAM – the play. To be directed by Marsha Mason, the film has been adapted for the stage and will be produced in partnership with Sept Doigts, an off-shoot of Cirque de Soleil. A workshop will be mounted in Montreal in March whereby the “swimming” aspects of the play will be performed by members from the Sept Doigts company.
5) CATEGORY 5 - A major action film about a team of hackers who attempt to steal $600 million from a small coastalU.S. Mint facility during a Category 5 storm. They are prevented from doing so by a hurricane chaser, a treasury agent and an ex-marine. The film has just wrapped shooting in Bulgaria. Directed by Rob Cohen of the FAST AND FURIOUS franchise, the film stars Toby Kebbell (BEN-HUR), Maggie Grace (TAKEN trilogy) Ryan Kwanten (TRUE BLOOD) and Ralph Ineson (THE HUNTSMAN, WINTER’S WAR).